Students, you may need to practice a lot while preparing for CBSE board exams and other exams. Isn’t it worth your time? So, what are you waiting for? Download your free set of important CBSE questions along with the solutions now!
Important questions based on NCERT syllabus for Chapter 9 - Soil:
Question-1: Explain the different layers of soil.
Solution: 1) A-Horizon: This is the upper most layer of the soil and is called as topsoil. The color of this layer is the darkest, since it is rich in humus and minerals. It is soft, porous and holds more water than the other layers. Plants get most of the nutrients and water from this layer.
2) B-Horizon: Second most layer from the top, lighter in color, may contain little humus and are rich in minerals and serves as water reservoir.
3) C-Horizon: Consists of small pieces of original rock broken due to weathering.
4) Bedrock: The bottom layer of the soil and is unweathered solid rock
Question-2: Clayey soil is useful for crops. Do you agree with this statement? If yes, explain in detail.
Solution: This statement is absolutely right. Clayey soil has an important characteristic that it can retain water and moisture and therefore it is very useful for growing cereals like wheat ,gram etc. Clayey soil is rich in humus and water that is an ideal condition for crops to grow.
Question-3: Discuss the factors on which nature of soil depends.
Solution: Factors on which nature of soil depends are:
- The rocks from which it has been formed
- Type of vegetation that grows on it.